Maintaining your privacy is really important to us. You entrust us with sensitive information, and we take that responsibility seriously.
1. General Information
2. What information do we collect?
Your personal data
When we say your "personal data", we mean any information that identifies any person, that you provide to us during your trial period, after you subscribe, or that is contained in any other information that you provide to us (or that you authorise a third party to give to us on your behalf).
Your "personal data" may also be contained in information that we collect about you in connection with your use of the SailingNetworks website and/or SailingNetworks. The financial data that you enter into SailingNetworks, or that is provided to SailingNetworks from your bank or payment gateway, isn't part of the "personal data" discussed here, unless it identifies a person – for more information about your financial data, jump ahead to the next section. When it comes to your personal data, we comply with our obligations under the General Data Protection Regulation and any other applicable data protection legislation from time to time.
Information you provide – Your personal data includes the information you provide, or that you authorise someone else to provide, when you sign up for an account or sign up to receive our emails, or when you answer questionnaires, surveys, enter competitions or provide information in your account profile, on the SailingNetworks website, or during a support enquiry about you and/or your organisation. It also includes information you provide when you complete any forms which you submit to us. It also includes information you upload to your SailingNetworks account.
Examples of this personal data include your name, your email address, contact names; and any correspondence when you contact us. It could also include your bank account details and bank transaction details (if it identifies a person).
Information we collect - We collect information about your website usage, to improve our service and to understand trends to enhance and customise content and advertisements. Some of this data may be "personal data", where it identifies a person. Here's the information that we collect and how we use it:
- We monitor patterns of usage, such as login dates and volumes of data, so we can understand how people are using SailingNetworks to develop and improve our products.
- We also monitor patterns of usage so that we can tailor any communications we may send you or advertising you may receive. For example, we may tailor your newsletter with information about product features that you haven't tried yet, instead of features that you use frequently.
- For security reasons and to aid in monitoring patterns of usage, we may log your IP address when you use the website. This is your computer's individual identification number that is assigned to your computer when connected to the Internet.
Information Others Provide to Us - We may receive information from others (e.g. payment gateways) that you have authorised that third party to provide to us. This could include the initial information to enable us to create your account (e.g. your full name, your email address and your organisation name).
3. What do we use for data for?
Providing SailingNetworks - We use your personal data to enable us to register you and provide you with access to SailingNetworks and the SailingNetworks website. It will also enable us to contact you by email, fax, post, SMS, social media or telephone where necessary concerning SailingNetworks; to record your personal preferences; to personalise our services to you (such as by pre-populating fields to make it easier for you to provide information when you return to SailingNetworks or the SailingNetworks website).
We may use third parties to assist us in providing SailingNetworks from time to time, and in those cases may pass on your personal and/or related data to them. In such cases we will only share your data with third parties that we trust, and where there are assurances in place as to how they will protect the data.
Improving SailingNetworks - We will also use and analyse your personal data and related data so that we can administer, support, improve and develop our business, customer service and the features of the SailingNetworks website and SailingNetworks generally. We may use third parties to assist us in doing these things from time to time, and in those cases may pass on your personal and/or related data to them. We will only share your data with third parties that we trust, and where there are assurances in place as to how they will protect the data.
Providing Insights - We monitor anonymous, aggregated information about account and related data so that we can produce insights about sailing and and boating activities. For example, based on an anonymous, aggregate data analysis, we may produce a white paper that reports how participation trends are changing. We may share these insights with customers, on our blog or other promotional material, use them internally to improve our product and communications, or share with other interested third parties. Just to be clear - we will never identify you or your organisation in such communications or white papers and will never report data in such a way that your organisation could be identified.
Contacting you for Marketing Purposes - We may use your personal data to contact you by email, fax, post, SMS, social media and/or telephone to let you know about our other SailingNetworks and/or third party services, content, offers or product ranges which may be of interest to you. We may also use your account data to enable us to tailor these notifications (in order to make sure what we are sending you is relevant). We will only use your data in this way where you have provided consent, we have legitimate business reasons for doing so, or where we are otherwise entitled by law to do so. If you would like us to stop providing you with such notifications, just contact us using the details below. Please note, this may take up to one working day to take effect. To stop receiving emails from SailingNetworks itself (for example, a reminder that your subscription is expiring), you should cancel your SailingNetworks account.
We may contact you if the specific arrangement we have in place with a third party which impacts you is changing and / or coming to an end and to let you know what will take place next.
Legal Requirements – We may use your personal data to comply with any legal obligations to which we are subject.
We shall periodically check that the personal data we store for you is accurate. If you would like to update the personal data we hold about you, please login to your SailingNetworks account or contact us at support@SailingNetworks.com with your request.
4. Why do we use your personal data?
We collect and use your personal data for a variety of reasons. We need some data to enter into and perform our contract with you and provide you with access to SailingNetworks – for example your contact details and other information requested during the SailingNetworks signup process. If you fail to provide such data we will be unable to provide our service to you.
Other information we collect because we have legitimate business interests, for example, in:
- Ensuring that we can onboard you as a customer and manage your account;
- Understanding how our customers use our products, services and websites;
- Understanding and responding to customer feedback;
- Researching and analysing the services our customers want;
- Improving our product and better understanding how our customers use it.
In some circumstances we may process your personal data because it is required for compliance with a legal or regulatory obligation.
5. Who do we share your information with?
You have the option within your account to share your data with people that you trust – for example, other users. We will not share your data with a third party unless you authorise it (by choosing to do so within SailingNetworks, or as detailed in this policy).
We will share your personal and account data with third parties in certain circumstances:
- We may disclose your data to our software development partner BoxStuff Ltd as required to provide the service and support;
- We may pass aggregate information on the usage of the SailingNetworks website and SailingNetworks, where relevant, to maintain, improve and manage the SailingNetworks website and SailingNetworks, but this will not include your personal data.
We may also share your personal and financial data with third parties:
- in the event that we, our business, or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party (in which case personal information about customers will be one of the transferred assets);
- if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal or financial data in order to comply with any legal obligation; to cooperate with law enforcement officials in the investigation of unlawful activities of SailingNetworks website users or relating to SailingNetworks users; or in order to enforce or apply any contract with you; or to protect our rights, property, or safety of our employees, customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
We also utilise a number of carefully selected third parties to help provide our services to you. Examples of these functions include email, providing marketing assistance and data analysis, data management, handling credit card transactions and providing customer service. In choosing to work with any such third parties, we will always ensure that the security policies and confidentiality arrangements of those third parties adhere to the same requirements we ourselves impose and expect, as a minimum. No ownership rights to the data will be transferred to any third party.
For a full list of subprocessors and details of the adequate safeguards in place in respect of data transfers outside the EEA, please see here.
6. How long do we store your data for?
We only store your data for as long as necessary for the purposes of processing set out in this policy. When you cancel your account with SailingNetworks, you can either delete your data immediately, or we will automatically delete your data within 180 days.
If you are signed up to marketing communications, cancelling your SailingNetworks account will not cancel your marketing preference. If you would like to unsubscribe, please email support@SailingNetworks.com.
To ensure the integrity of our systems and your data, we utilise various technologies to take secure, encrypted backups. Data remains archived within these backups and these are maintained according to our defined two-year data retention policy, after which they are removed.
7. You can export your data at any time
You can view the data we hold for you on SailingNetworks whenever you like via the 'May Account' section. While we regularly back up your data, we can't restore backups on an individual basis.
You can also ask us for a copy of your personal data that we hold (see Section 10: What are your rights? below).
8. You can delete your data at any time
You have the option to request the deletion of all of your data at any time. You can use this option before cancelling a SailingNetworks account, or to reset SailingNetworks after loading test data during your free trial. After you delete your data, we may not immediately delete residual copies from our active servers and may not remove information from our backup systems. Generally, we will retain your account data and personal data for a reasonable period, or for as long as the law requires.
9. We don't store your credit card details
10. What are your rights?
- Access to your personal data: You can ask us to confirm if we are processing your personal data and you may request a copy of your personal data by contacting our support team at support@SailingNetworks.com.
- Right to change or withdraw your consent: Where you have given us consent to make use of your personal data for any of the purposes outlined in this policy, you may withdraw that consent by contacting us using the details located at section 14 of this policy. If you wish to change your contact preferences or no longer wish to be contacted for marketing purposes, visit our Preference Centre or get in touch.
- Right to Rectification: You may ask us to update out of date or inaccurate information we hold about you. To do so, please log on to your SailingNetworks account and update your information or get in touch.
- Right to Erasure: In certain circumstances you may ask us to erase your Personal Data. If you would like us to erase the personal data we hold about you, please get in touch, specifying why you would like us to do so.
- Right to Data Portability: In certain circumstances you may ask us to provide you with the personal data that we hold about you in a structured, commonly used, machine readable form, or ask for us to send such personal data to another data controller.
- Right to object: In certain circumstances you may object to our processing of your personal data. Please get in touch.
- Right to restrict processing: You can ask us to restrict the processing of personal data we hold about you in certain circumstances. Please get in touch.
- Make a complaint: You may make a complaint about our data processing activities to a supervisory authority. In the UK this is the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO). Further details can be found on their website at https://ico.org.uk.
If you want to manage or disable cookies for the SailingNetworks website or any other site, you can do it by changing your browser settings. We suggest consulting the Help section of your browser or taking a look at the About Cookies website which offers guidance for all modern browsers.
12. Security and data storage
We take security and privacy seriously. We will endeavour to take all reasonable steps to keep your personal and financial data secure once it has been transferred to our systems. We adopt appropriate, industry standard data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures to protect against unauthorised access, alteration, disclosure or destruction.
Where we utilise third parties to help provide our services, we will always ensure that the security policies and confidentiality arrangements of those third parties adhere to the same requirements we ourselves impose and expect, as a minimum.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of the SailingNetworks website or SailingNetworks itself, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
Please note that the internet is not a secure medium and although we will do our best to protect your data, we cannot guarantee the security of any data transmitted to the SailingNetworks website or through SailingNetworks itself. Any transmission is at your own risk.
14. Getting in touch